Sunday, February 04, 2007

Mobile Shopping Mall Search - Great Concept, So-so Execution - 632729 (NEARBY)

When I first read the press release, I immediately thought that this was a very cool approach to location based search. "December 11, 2006 - NearbyNow, Inc. today announced the availability of its new mobile search service that allows consumers to find any product, brand or sale in a shopping mall simply by sending a text message. By typing their request into their mobile phone, consumers can easily find the nearest store that sells “skinny jeans“ or “men’s shoes on sale“. This service makes the promise of location-based mobile advertising a reality just in time for the holidays, and provides retailers a way to reach out to nearby shoppers who are looking specifically for items they offer. " - http://www.nearbynow.com/pr4.html

But then I learned that this started as a online shopping mall search that had moved online. So I compared the online to the mobile. I texted 'VF' to tell them where I am ; then I texted 'jeans'. I got back a message telling me about one special at one store: PacSun. Online I entered 'jeans' in the search box on the http://westfield.com/valleyfair/ website and was told that there are dozens of stores selling jeans in the mall. I'm not surprised as this mall has three hundred and eighty-two stores (382).

So what's the conclusion, it is a very cool concept but I don't agree that it "makes the promise of location-based mobile advertising a reality." I think it needs a lot more behavioral intelligence than it showed me. Or maybe, they should redefine it as "FIND A SALE THAT WE WANT TO TELL YOU ABOUT AT THE MALL YOU ARE IN." I could imagine this concept some day turning into areality, but it's not nearby yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home